Judge gunman is dad of Steubenville player convicted of rape
7 hurt in Russian Federation knife attack, terror 'not main angle'
Workweek Weather: Some clouds for eclipse; back to humidity
Deepening rift, U.S. sharply curtails visa services in Russian Federation
USA forces helping Philippines to retake city from IS
13 June 2017, 10:59 | Katrina Lee
Soldiers aboard their vehicles maneouver through a street in Marawi in southern island of Mindanao
The nation's 119 year of independence was marked solemnly on Monday as security forces continue to try and contain Islamic State-affiliated Maute group militants.
Mr Dutertesaid he had "never approached America" for help and was "not aware of that until they arrived", when he was asked about United States support to fight the pro-ISIS militants in Marawi City, on the island of Mindanao.
As the conflict intensified, the USA embassy in Manila said American forces were providing assistance to the Filipino troops, although it declined to give details for security reasons.
As gunfire rang out and planes flew bombing raids to pummel districts of the largely-abandoned city, a crowd of soldiers and officials gathered outside a nearby government building to raise the Philippine flag.
It said in a statement it was providing Philippine forces with security assistance and training in the areas of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.
They were utilized by the U.S. to overthrow regimes in Middle East and countries that are no longer allies and run counter to its imperialist interests, similar to what the USA did in Libya, the NDFP-Mindanao said.
"We believe the enemy has strong defensive positions", he said.
Marawi-based military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Jo-ar Herrera confirmed the USA help, adding that the special forces were not fighting, but "providing technical support".
The Palace is deeply saddened by the news on the 13 Marines killed in action during a firefight in Marawi City.
TRT World'sShamim Chowdhury exclusively spoke to the chairman of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, Al Haj Murad Ebrahim for the latest. The death toll for civilians was 20 and more than 100 people had been killed since the fighting began.
The gunmen were using about 100 hostages as human shields, hiding in mosques and utilising an underground tunnel network in the city, making it hard for troops to manoeuvre, he added.
The two countries are bound by a 1951 mutual defense treaty, though Duterte has tried to steer the Philippines away from United States influence since he became president previous year.
President Duterte previously ordered troops to "crush" Islamist extremists occupying parts of the southern city of Marawi, despite the militants holding dozens of civilians hostage.
The government declaredmartial law on May 24, and the jihadists have reportedly "stockpiled weapons and food in mosques, tunnels and basements to prepare for a long siege, ' per Reuters".
"I can not stop my soldiers now - let's finish this war that Islamic State has started".
"The President said in a media interview in Cagayan de Oro that as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, he allowed the Department of National Defense and the Armed Forces of the Philippines to decide on matters pertaining to martial law", Abella said.
Apple's new iMacs have better screens, USB-C, and VR support
And for half-precision computation, ideal for machine learning, iMac Pro delivers up to an incredible 22 Teraflops of performance. If you can't wait for the iMac Pro, Apple has available today a wholesale refresh of most of the Mac line-up.
At French Open, del Potro gets lost off court, wins on it
Halep, the 2014 runner-up, faces German world number 102 Tatjana Maria who is bidding to make the third round for the first time. Almagro and del Potro were tied with one set apiece during the second round of the grand slam tournament on Thursday.
Lukaku reveals his mind is made up regarding his future
Lukaku's main strength is arguably his huge physical strength. "At the moment the Premier League is the best league for me". Both Premier League clubs want the Belgium striker, 24, to lead their line when the new campaign kicks off in August.
Hamilton: Ferrari has chosen its number one
Raikkonen was stoney-faced and more taciturn than usual when retired 2016 champion Nico Rosberg interviewed him by the podium. We just have to make sure we are ahead of Ferrari , so we don't have to be in that same scenario that they were in on Sunday".
Monaco GP 2017, Sebastian Vettel wins
The outcome of the Monaco Grand Prix leaves Vettel 25 points ahead of Hamilton in the Drivers Championship, and Ferrari 17 points ahead of Mercedes in the Constructors.